Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving! I could be biased since I was born on Thanksgiving Day. My pappy always told me that that was how it all got started. Thanksgiving was just one big celebration of little La La. Imagine my shock when I go to Kindergarten and learned all of that Pilgrims and Indians stuff.

Teacher: Thanksgiving was started by the Pilgrims and Indians.
Me: Huh?
Teacher: The Pilgrims and the Indians shared the first Thanksgiving feast together.
Me: What?
Teacher: We all give thanks because the Pilgrims and the Indians, blah, blah, blah....
Me: Are you sure? That's not what my Pappy said. Thanksgiving is all about ME! I was born on Thanksgiving and that's how it all got started!

Seriously, who did she think she was? I'm still convinced the my pappy is the best history book and like his version of Thanksgiving. Of course, this is also the guy who would watch me prance down the stairs and say a plethora of lovely things such as: "Look at that pretty girl! That is the most beautiful little girl I've ever seen. Who is that gorgeous little thing? She is just sooooo pretty!" And I'd say "Pappy, I'm going to go back upstairs so that you can say all those nice things again." And he'd allow this to go on, and on, an on.....

So anyway, J and I are fortunate that we can share Thanksgiving with both our families. We'll start by going to his family for lunch before making a three hour drive to my family for dinner. It's worth it to be with all of those we love. Tonight I'm making cheesecake and truffles to take with us tomorrow. I'm so excited! Yum! Give me some stuffed bird already!

No comments: