Thursday, August 10, 2006

MTV Divorce Rate Up

I'm sure this will come as a shock to you, but MTV is three for three on divorced reality show couples. Who would have ever thought this could have happened?

Recently Carmen Electra (whose real name is Tara Leigh Patrick--what's that all about?) and Dave Navarro split. Their MTV reality show 'Til Death Do Us Part had seven episodes. It was the follow-up to the couples "courtship" (the network term, not mine!) which was also an MTV reality show entitled Carmen & Dave, an MTV Love Story. Courtship? Are you kidding me? I hardly think the relationship portrayed between the two falls within the bounds of "courtship."

Now the stars of Meet the Barkers, also and MTV reality show, have announced their separation. Travis Barker (from the band Blink-182) and Shanna Moakler, a formal Miss America, have announced they are divorcing. Who knew that the third time wouldn't be a charm? (And as we all know I'm all about unique and personable weddings, but a gothic, Nightmare before Christmas inspired ceremony on Halloween Eve is just too much for me. I hate Halloween anyway!)

And of course we've all heard about the demise of Nick and Jessica. I have to say (with no sarcasm, this is legit) that I'm truly upset by that. I love Nick and Jessica. I loved their show, I love their relationship, I loved them together! Although most Hollywood break-ups don't shock me and I deem Hollywood marriage as temporary, I really thought Nick and Jessica would withstand the Hollywood scene and have a happy little marriage. Their dating relationship was so grounded and wholesome. It seemed they had a good foundation for marriage. I'm sad for whatever ripped them apart. I think the Hollywood scene had a lot to do with it. As popularity rose they were assimilating into the culture there.

I guess that's what happens when you have television cameras around you all the time to film your public and private life. I can't imagine J and I having cameras around us all the time. (No one else should try to imagine it either--BORING! We love our life but it's nothing for film crews. Well, unless it's project time in the garage!). Really though--having everything you say and do on camera? That must be hard.

I'm sure there are some greedy, fame-crazed, idiot celebrities or wannabe celebrities who will still sign up for future opportunities to exploit themselves and inevitably get divorced with public display. I half wonder if some celebrities enjoy the attention of the divorce as well. Hey--it's still attention. At any rate, I think doing such a thing is ludicrous.
Congrats MTV! You're breaking up happy and harmonious unions one reality show at a time.

No comments: