Monday, October 22, 2007

Running Celebration

What did you do Saturday morning?


I was up at 5:30 a.m. to run a 5K with about 15,000 others in My Town. I'm sure you've all heard of Race for the Cure. I'm not sure why the event planners think the race should start before God even wakes up. However their was free Starbucks and Panera so I suppose it all evens out. I enjoyed the time with some of my favorite women from my sorority alumni group as well as the JL, including Mrs. S. The event was a lot of fun and the weather was awesome.
I ran in celebration of my very dear friend, LL. I grew up next door to LL and she took care of me when my sorry excuse for a mother was lacking at being my mother. She always listened, never judged, and gave me hope. She was a big influence on my life. I also babysat her only child for several years (she's nearly 21--color me old!). LL has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard and my dad agreed. He loved to hear her sing Holy Ground. At my wedding in April of 2006, she did just that in memory of him. Shortly thereafter she was diagnosed with breast cancer. In a split second she underwent a double masectomy followed by chemotherapy and radiation treatments causing her to lose all of her hair. While she's still fininishing treatments, she's doing very well and there is promising hope for her future. I hope that I can run in celebration of her victory next year as well.


The lovely Gamma Alumni Girls



The balloon arch finish line by the fabulous JL.
With the Chick-Fil-A Cow. I heart CFA!Lady Vols Basketball Coach Pat Head Summit fired the starting shot.
The bustling World's Fair Park Celebration
The Sunsphere in World's Fair Park

8 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Hey what about the cow pictures?

Platinum Rose said...

That is so wonderful for you to have participated in!!! YAY!

Jenny said...

Good for you! That's one charity I love associating myself with.

laurenjean said...

what a beautiful post and a wonderful thing you took part in for a great cause. i do the relay for life every year for family members i have lost to cancer - every bit helps!

Anonymous said...

How cool! What a great post. I want to do that when I go home. What a wonderful story, and cause to walk for!

Cakabaker said...

Congratulations on your run and i hope LL is back to normal soon.

Kristen Miller said...

WooHoo! Good for you. If you had to be up that early at least it's for an amazing cause. The Starbucks doesn't hurt either!

Thanks for sharing the story about LL. Too sweet! I'm sure she's so proud to have you running for her.

CG said...

You got Starbucks?? No fair.