Thursday, June 14, 2007

The subject of children

Not long ago J and I were talking about the names of our future kids. He was shocked to know that I had now decided against everything we'd thought of when we were dating. (I'm not sure why this shocked him. He loves to point out that all I wanted was a quiet wedding on the beach, then he gave me this sparkling rock and I suddenly decided on a blowout). We rediscussed names and I'm not sure we made any decisions. I know there is one or two we're both on board with. I'm not really concerned considering when I've got my foot in stirrups birthing a watermelon I feel certain my opinions will trump his.

We discussed other baby related topics too. Such as, I hate infant "potty chairs." (I'm not judging people, put down the stones. Also, this will most likely bite me in the ass so calm down.) I think we should just teach mini-me to climb on the regular toilet with the help of a little stool. (Also, quit rolling your eyes that I'm clueless. Of course I'm clueless, but I was a nanny for 5 years and have seen this work. Those kids are also mostly normal.) J disagreed. (I know, what the...?) This is how that conversation went:

Me: You, the "I hate all baby bodily fluids and will hold them and love them when they are clean and happy" are in favor of an infant potty seat? Even though you come in close contact with pee and poop and have to clean it out of that little bowl?

J: Oh, I thought you'd do that.

I think I won. He's designing little stools right now.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Are you hinting towards something Mrs. M?

Swistle said...

I don't use potty chairs, either. We have an awesome seat that fastens right onto the toilet and flips up and down just like the other seats (that is, you don't have to take it off and put it back on, it flips just like the larger, adult ring does).

Also, I want to hear your names! Well, okay, keep them secret if you must, but I'm going to make a high-pitched whining noise until you cave.

Anonymous said...

Are we having baby fever Mrs. M????

Lindsey said...

Haha now you have hit that one year mark already... is it baby time now?

Southern jezeBelle said...

Pipe Down People! There are no buns in this oven. And I'd like to keep it that way for at least 3 years. I babysit often so children often come up in our conversation.

SWISTLE: I can't share names. Keep making the shrill noise if you'd like. My ears are numb to it now because I've heard it for THREE DAYS! :)

Lisa Brown said...

Hi - found your blog through Katie. I loved reading this post because it reminded me of my newlywed days :). My husband and I would write long lists of baby names and argue about them LONG before we even thought of having a baby. It is nice to know I am not the only one :).

PS. I also agree that the little potty chairs are so gross - especially because I was forced to use one with my daughter because she was suddenly and randomly afraid of the "big potty." Oh well.

Platinum Rose said...

funny conversation you and J had!!