Friday, July 14, 2006

Take Me Home...


Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads
-John Denver
This weekend J and I are taking a little road trip to West Virginia to visit family and friends. Although they all came to our wedding, I didn't really get to spend time with anyone. I'm so excited to visit my Pappy, cousins, and of course my precious little Pie!
We're going to arrive for dinner tonight with the Bex's, do a little shopping at some favorite stores there that aren't in Tennessee, then make the two hour trip to my Pappy's house with a quick stop in The Drive-In for hotdogs. (Not just any hotdogs, but these are the best hotdogs on earth, I don't know what it is but they are absolutely scrumptious!). Sunday morning will be brunch at Auntie B's with all the family before we leave.
Unfortunately I won't be able to see BJ or her parent's because they'll be in Kings Island. (Lucky little girl!)
Trips to visit my Pappy are so quick and hurried now that I'm a graduated big girl with a big girl job and yada yada yada! It's hard to cram so much into a visit. It's also hard that I don't get to see or spend time with some of my family and friends like I used to. I can't tell you the last time I actually got to go to "The Farm". ("The Farm" being the Greyhound Farm, a joint venture with my Pappy and his brother, Uncle D, mostly a hobby).
I do love to visit up there though. I'm thankful I don't live there and I think I had a much better life growing up in East Tennessee than in the part of West Virginia where I was born and spent the first half of my childhood. I never thought I'd think I was better off here. Talk about a homesick little girl! But visiting there still makes me happy. I remember my dad used to roll down the windows at the top of the mountain when we'd arrive in the state so we could "smell that West Virginia air." Now of course I don't even travel that way since "that's how Davy Crockett and the Pioneers went" according to my Pappy.
I'm looking forward to visiting and will quite possibly have some great entertainment upon my return.

No comments: