Thursday, March 08, 2007

On The Run

Yesterday (as well as the last several) have been positively lovely weather. I set out for a run after work.

First, let's talk about how I look as if I'm ready for battle when I head out to run. I have my phone in one hand, in case someone would try to steal me or if I fall and break something. You see, I'm not very graceful and my thirteen (freaking) lovely years of cheerleading/gymnastics have led to multiple ankle injuries (fractures and breaks). In the other hand is my pepper spray, for the dogs that try to eat me.

(Anecdote: Last fall I was running along when a dog that is usually on the left side of the street in an electric fence came running at me from the right side. I stopped and turned with my palm up to talk to the dog. He snapped. I cried. I turned to walk away and the dog bit at me but only got me shorts which he pulled down, which the idiot a couple of houses down enjoyed. I think his owners must have a dog whistle because he suddenly perked up and ran home. Me? I cried and climbed on the back of a Honda Civic to call my husband to come rescue me from demon dog. And then I happily pulled into the drive way to tell them I hate their dog and although my thighs look quite juicy I am not a side in the deli case!)

Next, I have my mp3 player strapped to my arm. Also, depending on where I am I have keys tucked somewhere or another. In light hours I'll often just leave the back door unlocked, but when I'm going to a trail, etc, I have to carry my keys. I mean, not that I think my car would be the first to be stolen, but still, I don't want to get a new one. When J goes with me I can usually just take the mp3 player since I have him along. But we definately still use our mp3 players. It drowns out our huffing and puffing.

So, I set out for a happy little run. It's been a while since I've went on a long run outside. I was forced to use the dreaded treadmill for awhile when the weather was cold, and since warming up I've been walking more at different trails with my husband, who doesn't quite find the joy in running that I do.

I'm happily jogging about the neighborhood when an about teen aged boy comes zipping by on a little motor scooter. What the....? Are we wondering why children are overweight these days? Where was his bike? Why wasn't he running around playing football, or catch, or tag? In my days (wow, that ages me) if you had a scooter, it was the push with your happy little feet kind. The only thing to top off this picture would have been if the kid were eating a big mac.

He laps me a few times and I keep trudging along. Wow....that hill hasn't gotten bigger since January.

Run, Run, Run. Vroom Vroom! Kid laps me.

Seriously, did they add incline to this? Geesh! Huff, huff, puff, puff. Run, Run, run. Vroom Vroom! Kid laps me.

Victory!! I made it to the top of the hill. We Are The Champions is ceremoniously floating through my head. I turn the curve to (dum, dum, dum) the bigger hill.

I begin to trudge up when I hear....Vroom Vroom!!

"HEY KID! HERE'S TEN BUCKS CAN YOU GIVE ME A RIDE??"

2 comments:

CG said...

That's funny! I need to get me some pepper spray for that very reason. I hate dogs and am very scared of them! And I try to walk alot outside so I need something.

Anonymous said...

How funny!!!!! I remembered those push with your feet scooters... those were the days, weren't they?