Friday, November 03, 2006

Holiday, Celebrate

I'm so excited for the Holidays. I've got all of the cute autumn decor out and am getting organized for Christmas. This weekend I'll be breaking out the Holiday dishes to use through January. I love my Holiday dishes. It's a very cute blue and white mix and match set with snowmen and snowflakes.

Last year J and I bought all sorts of new goodies to decorate our home for Christmas. I'm not even sure what all I have stored in the Holiday closet. I'm sure there will be some surprises to what we actually bought that we forgot about. I do remember a great assortment of wreaths for our front windows and extra little Christmas trees for the front porch and guest rooms. Plus, we have two large living spaces so we have trees for both. I don't do real trees, I'm far too allergic for that stuff.

J and I have our Christmas cards all ready to go. In the next week I'll be getting them all addressed and stamped to mail out. I'm playing Mrs. S's game of be-the-first-card-t0-arrive!But the rule is, it must be postmarked after Thanksgiving. I've already called to talk a little smack to her about having mine all prepared.

J and I have also completed our Christmas shopping. Yes, it's true! They few things that I do have left are just extras and I know what they are and where they are, it's just a matter of actually going to get them.

I love the holiday season. Thanksgiving is such a special time for my family. It's also fun because I was born on Thanksgiving day. My Pappy had always told me that's how it all got started. Imagine my surprise when I got to kindergarten and learned all of that Pilgrim and Indian stuff. My birthday falls on Thanksgiving about every 8 years I think. Thanksgiving Day begins with gathering family for chatting, visiting, and cooking. We usually eat Thanksgiving dinner mid afternoon. Once we are all sufficiently stuffed it's time to play spades B family style. That means the game isn't over until all participants are bleeding. Then it's another round of food and gathering to watch Christmas Vacation.

I love getting ready for Christmas too. I love all of the decorations. I love the songs and stories at church. I love the Christmas music station. I love buying gifts for my family and friends. I love the movies. I love having parties and spending time with my family and friends. Christmas is by far one of my favorite times of the year. I also really love that J's grandad always reads the Christmas story. I look forward to us doing that for our kids one day.

I look forward to New Year's, too. It is the one year anniversary of J and I moving into our first house. I'm excited about hosting a cocktail party to celebrate that, and all the wonders of the holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and most of all, love and friendship.

Doesn't that just give everyone a warm, fuzzy feeling?

No comments: