Monday, May 22, 2006

A New Job

During the midst of all the excitement surrounding the wedding and honeymoon--I also got a new job! I started the Tuesday after my honeymoon and I couldn't be happier. It was definitely a good move for me. I was ready to move on to the next phase in my career and find a position that put me in my element and allowed me to reach my potential.

I'm an Account Executive for an E.W. Scripps Network and thus far, I really like it. The people here are wonderful, the atmosphere is wonderful, and the benefits--phenomenal! I get 15 days paid vacation per year, 10 sick/personal days per year, 8 paid holidays (plus my birthday), and wonderful insurance that's super cheap. I was shocked at the difference from what I had been paying. The facility is very new and very nice. It's still very close to home and my commute is only about 15 minutes. J is only 7-8 minutes away so we can still have lunch together regularly. That makes me happy.

I definitely enjoy the pay increase and the potential for growth options is excellent. There are more challenges to this job, but that is something I was anxiously seeking. I'm learning alot and gaining great experience for the communications industry, which is very wonderful for my career.

Another high point is that the E.W. Scripps company has postions in several cities and several communications sectors. There are newspapers in 18 markets, 10 television stations (NBC and ABC affiliates as well as an independent), and several broadcast networks including HGTV, Food Network, DIY, Fine Living, GAC, and HGTV Pro. They also own and operate a number of websites. If and when J and I decide to move, it's nice to know that I could have a great start with searching for a new job.

My company also pays for grad school, and we all know that is where I'm headed. I'm so happy to have landed a position in this company. Raise your glasses ladies and gentlemen--here's to new jobs!

No comments: